Wednesday 30 May 2012

Reading and Watching Wednesday

Hello all!
I'm sorry I missed last week. I was really good and wrote a post to come out on the Wednesday  I was away on vacation, but I didn't take into consideration that I got back on a Tuesday and was too exhausted to think about blogging for about a week. NYC will definitely do that to you, especially if you try to see EVERYTHING in 3 days like I did!

Anyway, I had a great time, but hopefully I can get back to business as usual. This week I will be comparing the book version against the television version of The Sookie Stackhouse Novels / True Blood in honor of the new season starting soon (who else is WAY excited?!)

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)

Admittedly, I have only read the first 2 Sookie Stackhouse books, and have seen all 4 seasons of True Blood that have come out. When I read the first book, I had already started watching the show as well. When I started the book, the biggest shocks were Tara and Layfette considering book Tara was the polar opposite of show Tara, and without giving too much away, Layfette's story line goes a lot differently in the books. There is definitely some minor character differences as well, but they are less noticeable. And as always, the characters physical descriptions aren't completely accurate, but they are good enough in most cases. Book Sookie seems to be a more voluptuous Southern girl than Anna Paquin is capable of portraying, but she does a good job. 

Since, as I mentioned, I had watched the show first, and the book seemed to be playing true to the show for awhile, I found I kept waiting for things I new happened in the show to happen in the book, and this never did. I guess since the book is short, the TV show had some filler added to make a whole season.

For the second book and the second season, much of the story line has changed, and much like my review of the Vampire Diaries book vs show, I think that they are going to be completely different, and almost incomparable. For this reason, I think I will continue reading the books (otherwise I honestly think I would stop reading them).

Verdict: Show is definitely better than what I have read so far, but I'm going to keep giving the books an honest chance and maybe they will get just as good!

PS: I found this link and thought it was good too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment