Friday 13 July 2012

Fablehaven (Book 1) by Brandon Mull



Goodreads Summary: For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite.
Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken — Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good — powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most.
Why I Read This Book: One day when I was on Goodreads checking out some recommendations, I added this to my list on a whim. And then another day, not so long after that first one, I was at the used bookstore browsing and I just happened to come upon this little gem, so for $1.50 I picked it up.


Review: This was a fantastic children's book. It was the right amount of adventure mixed with magic and disbelief that gets you hooked on reading it. One thing that irritated me, but I guess it was sort of necessary, was how disobedient those damn kids were! I'd have lost my mind if I was their grandparent! Maybe I'm just too goody-goody though :\ Either way, if you have children who loved Harry Potter (or if you yourself loved it!) this could be a good 'next read' to keep children interested in reading books. I think there is 5 in the full series, and I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for them!


Rating:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the book recommendation. Now I'm off to add it to my wishlist at Amazon!

    ReplyDelete