Friday 27 July 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth


Insurgent (Divergent, #2)


Goodreads Summary: One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. 
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


Why I Read This Book: Obviously I had to read this book, as I read the epic-ness that was Divergent.


Review: I loved this book! I thought it was a fantastic 2nd book in this trilogy. It did a great job of answering a lot of the mysteries of Divergent while still keeping you guessing and being surprising. I tried to avoid all reviews of this before reading, however I did glimpse a piece of one somewhere (can't remember where) but it said something about overhearing stuff in obvious hiding places. I don't normally talk about other peoples reviews, and I tried really hard to avoid ones about this as I was so excited to read it (my stupid brain was reading before I knew what was going on!!) but, I have to say that is not that accurate. I think that is something to say about this book when you are just looking for negative things to say. Of course they may have hid in some places that seem like they should be found (like under that bridge) but if you are enjoying the book, your brain will make it so that when you visualize that hiding place, it is good. To me, I pictured the bridge to be wide planked, so that if you were under it, you would easily be concealed... see what I mean. Book descriptions are not soooo good that you can't create what it needs to be to work in your mind, and if they are, then either your reading it wrong, or the author is doing to much telling and not enough showing. You should be able to use your imagination a little bit too :)
Anyway, now that I have rambled about that enough, wow, was this book good. I thought the changes in Tris were pretty believable, she has done a lot of growing from her Dauntless training, but here other faction qualities which make her Divergent come out as well. And, I thought Roth also did a good job of showing she was still just a young girl. (I actually really liked that in the book it was pointed out by someone that she picks which she wants to be when its convenient for her - because don't we all? When I was younger, and I wanted to stay out late, or do something that I wasn't allowed it was all "but Mom, I'm 16 now!" but when I needed something done for me... different story!). I also thought the Divergent qualities in Four were subtly evident as well. I liked a lot of the supporting character development too. I was genuinely sad when some were killed off. I am so excited for book 3! I look forward to just learning the title!

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment