Wednesday 25 July 2012

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey


Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)

Goodreads Summary: The undead can really screw up your senior year ... 
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction



Why I Read This Book: The god's honest truth is, I'm kind of a sucker for a book where the character has the same name as me... I have NO idea why (I have every idea why, and her name is Jessica Wakefield) but I am drawn to them. I won't just read any old book with a Jessica walking around in it, I have to be at least somewhat interested. For example, I wasn't planning to start any new vampire book series' until I finished with the ones that I have already started (Vampire Academy/Bloodlines, Sookie Stackhouse, Vampire Diaries, etc.) so that I can keep them all straight! But, I just couldn't resist a Jessica...

Review: For a book about vampires, I thought this was incredibly cute and kind of charming. Since the main character, Jessica is, in a lot of ways, still a pretty normal teenage girl. There isn't much killing in this book like there is in most other vampire series, so you can relate to the characters very easily. I really liked this book, but I did have some issues with it. First, it has a stupid name. There is not dating a vampire in this book, it should be called 'Jessica's Guide to Learning about Vampires' if she wanted to go that route. It's inappropriately named, and that irritates me, kind of a lot for some reason. I think the book title is very important, and this one just isn't good. It lost a full star for me here. Second (this of course has no bearing on my rating of the book, but it definitely made it a little more frustrating to read) for some reason this ebook and my ereader HATED each other! The pages took FOREVER to turn. It wasn't too bad at the start of the book, maybe 10-15 seconds for each page, but as I got further along, the pages took even longer to turn, to the point where it was almost 2 minutes a page near the end. It was super frustrating, and I have no idea why it happened. I thought it could have been a problem with my ereader, but I just bought two other books, and they work fine. Either way, I was annoyed, but of course, that's not the books fault!
The title was the main thing that irked me, otherwise I did enjoy the book, and I'm going to get the next one (Jessica Rules the Dark Side) - yes even the ebook version! It was a refreshingly different vampire series, and I liked it.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment