Wednesday 24 October 2012

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen


What Happened to Goodbye

Goodreads Summary: Who is the real McLean? 

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out. 

Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.
Why I Read This Book: Sarah Dessen is an author who I kept meaning to read, but she always got pushed to the bottom of my list. Someone lent this book to me, so it managed to make its way to the top of the pile, and I read it.

Review: I thought this was a great book. Dessen writes about relationships (both romantic, friendship, and parental) with a genuine feel. This book had mostly likable characters, but they had some moments where they had to make some tough decisions which showed all sides of their personalities. Great character development. As for the story itself, it was pretty enjoyable, although I have herad from huge Dessen fans that this wasn't here best story. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and in the future, I won't put off picking up her books like I have been.

The one thing I didn't like about the book is near the end there is some much "metaphorical wisedom". McLean "realizes" so much, and strings all the events from the story into one neat little "life lessons" package, which I thought was a little annoying. As the reader, all the conclusions that Dessen wrote down were things I had already connected, so reading it was kind of redundant.

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment